Registration for this event is now closed due to all available places being allocated.
Dates and Venues:
19-25 December 2014 – Markfield Conference Centre Ratby Lane, Markfield, Leicestershire. LE67 9SY
Academic Development Seminars
Academic Writing and Publishing Seminar by Dr Ozgur Yazaydin
● Self-management and time management
● Sections of a well written journal
– Literature review
– Discussion and conclusions
● Essential Ingredients
– Appeal – what makes your paper’s contribution appealing? For whom?
– Originality – what is your theortical/empirical contribution?
– Rigour – Is your paper rigorous?
●Receiving and responding to review feedback
●Targeting a journal
●Rejection- Revising – Resubmitting and publishing
How to Write a Statement of Purpose and a Research Proposal by Ishab Demirci
● What is essential and what makes it great?
– Your background, your area of interest, your future goals
● Sections of a well written SOP?
– Research Experience/ Relevant Experience
– Current Interests and Aspirations
– Career Goals
– Statement About Your “Fit” With the Program
– Summary and/or Conclusion
● Tips for writing research/relevant experience section.
● Checklist for writing a SOP
●What is essential in a research proposal
– preliminary reading/research in the area of their interest
– identifying a scientific problem
– theoretical background and a methodical approach
– Abstract/summary statement of the research project
– Review of research literature
– Objectives and the outline of the research project
– Timetable and selective research bibliography
– The problems likely to encounter.
– Why is your research important to (a) theory and (b) practice?
– The originality of the thesis.
– Common rejection reasons
Effective Communication Skills by Sirri Demirsoy
● Techniques for a better quality communications
– Conversations with individuals
– Conversations with groups of people
– effectiveness in face to face communication
– written and voice communication
● Techniques and advices for e-mail, twitter, Facebook and other social media communication tools.
For any queries regarding this seminar please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org